Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ask for the GAS!!!

I had a most unpleasant experience this morning--the DENTIST!!! For those who know me know that I would rather be dead than sitting in the dentist chair.



This dentist phobia comes from a long life of dental expertise in my family. When I was young, my mom would load the whole family up in the car to take the long trek to Ogden where my Granddad and my uncle were both dentists. The anxiety always built on the 1 and 1/2 hour trip and by the time I got there I was always ready to crawl out of my skin.

My phobia can be traced back to age seven. I had a space the width of a semi truck between my two front teeth. Uncle Bart fixed that real quick. One little snip of the skin between the teeth and the gap closed instantly. Needless to say, I pass out at the thought of blood or injury and did so in the waiting room of Uncle Bart's office, hitting my head on the wall on the way down.

There was also a time one of my parents hit my head putting me into the car and I was rushed into Granddad's dental office where my very own grandfather stitched me up in the dentist chair. He did a wonderful job, but I HATE dentists (not personally but in general).

Today I had the wonderful experience of visiting my local dentist--Kent Probst.



No more travel to Ogden. If I had to do that, I'm afraid I would hightail it to the border and never show up for my appointment. He was very kind in saying that I needed a filling replaced and quite possibly had the smallest little beginning of a cavity that he might as well fill while I was numb.

Life Lesson #1:
ASK FOR THE GAS!!!!

Perhaps happy gas is only a placebo. Who knows what the Doc really pumps into your nose--could just be oxygen for all I know. The one thing I have discovered, however, is that the awful smell of toothdust (the fine particles that float in the air as your tooth is helplessly ground down) is pleasantly concealed by the mask of gas over your nose and the grinding and swooshing noises are much more bearable.

When all was said and done, he worked me. I was crumpled and sloppy. Slobbery and . . .happy! What a pleasant day at the Dr.'s office. Every bit worth it for a flawless smile!

10 comments:

Kirstin said...

You do have a flawless smile I must say. I hate my teeth so that is something I always look at on other people. Glad they gave you the laughing gas to make it more bearable. I have been waiting for a new post from you... so thanks!

Brimaca said...

Funny post. Welcome back to blogging we've missed you!

Anonymous said...

Ick! I hate the dentist too! I have a knot in my stomach just thinking about it. I haven't ever tried the happy gas....maybe next time. I laughed out loud imagining you all piling into the car for a trip to Ogden to visit Granddad!

Todd and Megan said...

Those memories of Granddad and the dental chair...priceless! However, I don't think any of us escaped without some dental fear!

Emily said...

I have a fear of the dentist too! What is wrong with us ;)

Laurel said...

I feel your pain, I HATE going to the dentist as well, but I do love uncle bart and jared. It is so scary. I am glad you had a good experience with the gas. You have perfect teeth! Lucky...

Veronica said...

You did such a great job with your description of your previous and present experience.....you write very well. Jocey just passed out at Bart's office at her last visit and hit her head on the way down. Bart called me with a wavery voice too....it scared him. Oh you cute girls. Glad today was so good. It was great to be with you last SAturday! Love you tons!

Erin said...

You have beautiful teeth Whit...it's funny to hear other peoples ideas of the dentist. I don't love the dentist either and I've never had a cavity, so I don't really know why I don't like them!

I've missed reading your blog, but I can imagine it is a daunting task these days. Sorry I didn't call while I was in Heber. It gets so busy with family and holidays and before I know it we already have to leave. I think of you everyday and just want to give you a big hug. I PROMISE to call next time I'm there!

Loves

Micah and Chelsea said...

Ok...talk about a blast from the past. I must have covered up those memories of the dreaded family, I emphasis family, trip to Ogden. Maybe I didn't like them because on top of the road trip, I always had all the cavities to be filled! I love Granddad and Uncle Bart, but the ride to Ogden and the family bonding time in the jeep was about enough for me.

Mrs. Dirty Hair said...

I have that life lesson down pact...I will not even go to get my teeth cleaned without the Gas!! I love it for numerous reasons 1) I too, am petrified of the dentist and 2) It is only type of "getting high" that I am doing these days...Don't take that the wrong way.