Monday, December 15, 2008

Quick Thanksgiving Thoughts

Sorry, late thanksgiving post this year. Though it was filled with family, love and laughter, there were also many tears to be shed; however, for the most part, Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. We all pitched in together to make a superb Thanksgiving feast. I even did my research and googled some great recipes for heart-healthy Thanksgiving dishes (just for you, dad). My favorite thing was the cauliflower mashed potatoes--absolutely heavenly!!! Steven was really worried that since I do not cook (and never have) I should not make the first meal I ever cooked be on the largest and most important day of feast. Eat your heart out, honey--SUCCESS!

I am most thankful for my mom and her wonderful example. I am thankful for the fun memories I have with her. She was the person I would call if I needed to go someplace--she was up for anything. Though quiet as a mouse in public, my mom never held back when she was around me. We would laugh and talk as if we were teenagers. I would see her daily and talk to her more than that. She was truly one of my best friends. I am thankful for the wonderful person she was and the wonderful family she helped my dad create. I AM THANKFUL FOR HER LIFE.

It is no secret that I have been very upset, bitter, angry, hateful, neglectful, quiet (yes, me being quiet is not ordinary), etc., etc., etc. My feelings have been selfishly based and probably have no merit. Thanksgiving was a time to spend with the people I love and reflect on how lucky we are as a family. I hope that as I start a new year and celebrate the ending of 2008 I will be fortunate enough to understand the ultimate plan for all of us and focus on the important things still present in my life.

I am thankful to have had the chance to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with Steven and his WONDERFUL family; Richie, Jules and Ruby from New York; and, Micah and Chelsea who came from down south. I am especially thankful to have had the opportunity to spend the holiday in the comfort of my father who is an amazing rock of faith for all of us. Love you all!

9 comments:

Todd and Megan said...

I am so glad to hear of your Thanksgiving Day. You and your family are in my daily thoughts and prayers. I am very grateful for the memory and example your mother set!

Mrs. Dirty Hair said...

I am proud of your cooking skills...I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving! I wish you the best and hope hope hope to see you this holiday season!

Laurel said...

it was great to see you at the wedding and it was a great day...you are such an amazing person and your blog shows that. love ya!

Emily said...

What a special post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your Mom with us! Hope to see you soon :)

Veronica said...

Dearest Whit, I love every word that you expressed. You definitely have and amazing mother and will have her for all eternity. She loves you so very much. You also have an amazing father and he is such an example of strength to me and all of us. So glad that you had a good Thanksgiving. Wonderful to be with you on Saturday. It was a very special day. Love you tons!

Erin said...

What a hard time of year for your family. I'm glad you were able to have a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by loving family, even despite the circumstances. I think of you often and pray that you will find peace, comfort and understanding. I hope we can all get together while I'm in Heber. I'll be there from the 23-29. Can't wait to see you!

Loves!

Anonymous said...

Oh Whit,
We are missing you all already! Ruby and I have spent most of the day in tears. It is hard to be so far away, but we are always grateful to have a chance to come home - especially when we need (and want) to be surrounded by family. I can hardly believe that we pulled off such a delicious thanksgiving feast! Your mom would have been so proud of that banana cream pie!! You are amazing, thanks for reminding us that we have so much to be thankful for, I too am especially thankful for your mom and her life! It is truly a blessing to be a part of your family. Love you so much!

Shelley Eggett said...

Whitney this post was so sweet and special. It's so fun to hear about the fun relationship that you and your Mom had. I am impressed with all your cooking!! It's never too late to learn new things I guess. As much as your family has been your rock through all of this, it sounds like you have been their rock too, and that you are helping to pull the family together during this difficult time. I think of you often, hang in there and know that your Mom is proud of you and loves you.

Kirstin said...

Beautifully written. It is justified to feel the way you have felt lately. I am so proud of your cooking skills too... I made absolutely nothing for Thanksgiving... Just ate everyone else's food... Have yet to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner, and am terrified of the day I do... so good on ya! Hang in there... You sound as if you are surrounded by amazing people, and you are handling things beautifully. You yourself are amazing.