Monday, June 14, 2010

Dear Mom

I think about you every day, but this week has been different. This week I had cantaloupe gelato (my favorite) just like when you and I were in Pisa. I think you had coconut gelato that day. Remember when we bought the knockoff Gucci watches there? On the Erie Canal heading to Fairport Village there are bushes that smell exactly like the rose bushes in Grandma Ellen's courtyard. Every time I walk past I inhale so deeply so I can take a piece of that smell with me. That was always the first thing I smelled when we got to Grandma Ellen's house. This week I saw your smiling, happy face on the television screen when I watched Richie and Julies wedding video. Ruby loves that movie! I was so happy to see you--it's been a year and a half since I've seen that smile, but it made me sad that I can't see it in real life anymore. This week when I laughed at Jasper I actually heard your laugh. Am I starting to sound like you? It wasn't done on purpose but after the laugh escaped I thought, "oh, that sounded like my mom's laugh." I wanted to look around to see if you were standing behind me and laughing at Jasper just like I was.

I'm reminded of you and think about you everyday, Mom. There were things this week that reminded me of you in so many physical ways. You are amazing Mom!

Missed you yesterday, miss you today, miss you forever.
Love,
Whit

7 comments:

Brimaca said...

And now I'm crying. :)

Mrs. Dirty Hair said...

Oh Whit,
I am so glad that you write to your Mom cause I feel that I didn't know her well and your writing is helping me with that. You are a beautiful person and I would love to get together this summer and have a play date! I am still in Salt Lake but not sure what is happening cause I am looking for another teaching contract.

Veronica said...

So sweet and thoughtful. I loved every word you wrote. Your mom is closer than any of us know. I love your memories of her and the small tender mercies you are given to remind you of her each day. She loves you more than any of us will ever understand in this life. Love you Whit and can't wait to see you when you get to Utah. Love you!

Emily said...

Such sweet words and thoughts! I am glad you are writing these things down so you can remember these little precious moments.

Victoria said...

I'm a new blogger and this was the first blog i read. Although i've never met your mother, just by reading your words I feel her warmth and compassion, and what you do to allow her to live on is incredible. I just lost my grandfather and have just started a blog about his inspiration in my life. its important that we carry on the stories of our loved ones.

-Tor

http://anuntoldinspiration.blogspot.com/2010/06/introduction.html

Mindy & Steve said...

Whit-
Isn't it crazy how the little things live on with us, like the ice cream flavors and scent of a flower. I think of you constantly and hope you are doing well. Let me know if you EVER need me to go visit your mom for you! Love ya girl and think of you lots.

The Heaps Family said...

You are so sweet and sentimental... I know your mother is watching down on you and that she is so proud of the woman you have become.

About the dog escaping, you are going to spend a lifetime beating yourself up for stupid little mistakes. We are all going to make them. Nobody is perfect. Parent's often learn more than our little ones will learn from us. Just take a breath and remember you are doing a good job. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Love ya whit. I haven't seen you in forever. I hope all is well. Your little Jasper is so adorable.